Highlights from the Investec Wealth Forum15 August 2017
Watch video: All the highlights from the Investec Wealth Forum
In a turbulent world, there’s opportunity in change – that was one of the key themes that came out of the recent Investec Wealth Forum hosted in Cape Town on 7 August and Johannesburg on 8 August.
Both events featured a prestigious line-up of speakers, including two of the world’s best fund managers, Dave Iben and Sunil Thakor (who are among 18 leading global investment managers chosen by Investec to manage portfolios for Investec’s World Axis Fund). They shared their views and their approach to investing. Sunil also presented on the companies and countries in which he sees opportunity for growth.
The Investec Wealth & Investment Global Strategy Group held a panel discussion in which they outlined their views on the global investment horizon, touching on everything from Trump, to Brexit, bonds and the role of central banks.
Former All Black captain Sean Fitzpatrick shared his lessons on the “Art of Winning” and Investec Group Chief Executive Stephen Koseff and Chairman Fani Titi discussed the role of business and state in a hard-hitting panel discussion with Zweli Mkhize, Treasurer General, African National Congress, (at the Cape Town event); and Lesetja Kganyago, Governor of the South African Reserve Bank (in Johannesburg).
Comedian Trevor Noah rounded off a day of great speakers and thought-provoking insights.
Here are some of the most memorable quotes from over the two days:
- “We don’t think that investment opportunity is driven by macroeconomics, geopolitics, or even markets. Investment opportunity, at its core for growth investors, comes from change.” Sunil Thakor, Managing Director, Sands Capital Asset Management, USA
- “Business leadership has become more vocal. They see themselves as part of the solution.” Stephen Koseff, Chief Executive, Investec Group
- “We have searched, and continue to search, for the world’s finest investment managers.” Ryan Friedman, Head: Multi-Manager Investments, Investec Wealth & Investment SA
- “Right now the US [equity market] is as expensive as it’s ever been.” Dave Iben, Top Performing Global Equity Manager, 2016. Chief Investment Officer, Kopernik Global Investors USA
- “It’s political will and leadership that drives a reform programme.” Lesetja Kganyago, Governor of the South African Reserve Bank
- “It is said that data is the new oil.” Henry Blumenthal, Investec Wealth & Investment Chief Executive
- “There’s still plenty of scope for markets to produce positive returns, but I’m no longer as enthusiastic as I was.” Chris Hills, Chief Investment Officer, Investec Wealth & Investment UK